Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In Relation To Little Dorrit

Based on Charles Dickens' book of the same name, Little Dorrit is about young woman named Amy Dorrit (Claire Foy). The first child ever to be born in the Marshalsea, a London debtors prison, Amy has grown into a young woman who has never known any other home. She spends her time caring for her father (Tom Courtenay) and secretly earning money as a needleworker- until Arthur Clennam (Matthew Macfadyen) returns from China. Convinced his family is responsible for her father's debts, Arthur sets out to help the Dorrit family and changes their lives forever.

Pros: I can definitely see the mark of Charles Dickens on this adaptation of his book. There are so many outrageous characters that are hilarious. I love Arthur Clennam! He's clueless (as most men in old books are), but he's very sweet and honorable. I just about puzzled my brains out trying to decipher the ending the first time I watched this movie. Another pro (in my book) is the length. It's upwards of seven hours!

Cons: The bad guy (played wonderfully by Andy Serkis) gets a bit much sometimes. There's an uncomfortable couple of scenes involving him and a woman at an inn near the beginning of the movie. I still haven't quite reconciled the entire plot, either.

My Rating: T (thematic elements, obscene hand gesture, moderate sexual content involving bad guy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.