Friday, December 16, 2011

The Hunger Games Trailer


Well, the reason why I read the Hunger Games trilogy in the first place was because I noticed this trailer for the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence that is slated to come out next year.



I loved the trailer when I first saw it, not least because I love Jennifer Lawrence. She's fantastic as Raven in X-Men: First Class and even better as Ree in Winter's Bone. Here she plays tough, thick-skinned Katniss - a perfect casting if I ever did see one.

Everything looks very close to the book, with the exception of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. I confess I never imagined Cinna as dark-skinned. Somehow I think the Capitol would not have approved of minorities. The overall fidelity to the book is great, however - I loved the book, and I think it would make a great movie if one or two parts are dumbed down violence-wise.

All the movies will likely remain close to the books, since author Suzanne Collins is in on the writing (thanks to lostdog from The Wind-Up Dog Chronicles for that info). This is both good and bad, since I liked the series until the end of the third book. Unfortunately, while I might go see the first movie and possibly the second, I have no interest in seeing the third one unless the ultimate message of the story is changed. Since Collins will probably not consent to changing that message, I have low hopes for the third installment of the series.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog as I was looking for new books to read and was excited to see a fellow Catholic reviewing books I know and love as well as some new ones I had never heard of. Was just wondering if you did wind up going to see the Hunger games and if it's worth seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome!

    I did see it, and I'm probably going to write a review in the next couple of weeks. In case it leaves the theater in your area before I get around to it, I'll just say that it's worth the price of the movie ticket. (PG-13 is a fair rating, but there is some blood and kid-on-kid violence.)

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.