Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spend Today in the Middle of Middle Earth

"Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker."
~J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy Stories

Happy Birthday (and Merry Christmas), old maker of Hobbits!

Today, since it is his 120th birthday, is J.R.R. Tolkien day. I would heartily recommend the enjoyment of the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings films, the repeated viewing of the trailer for the new Hobbit movie due to come out in December, a speedy run-through of any of his books, making and enjoying various fan adaptations of Middle Earth foods, or - the activity I choose - hours spent in the combat contained within The Return of the King video game. I normally would have spent the day in watching all 11+ hours of the movies (or however long the three extended versions run to - I never watch the theatrical versions), but, alas, my family's copies are with an older sibling for the time being. So I shall content myself in my Aragorn- Legolas- Frodo- Sam- Gimli- Gandalf- Boromir- Pippen- Merry- Faramir- and Galadriel-less sorrow (apologies to any good characters I forgot) by immersing myself in a desperate fight to defeat various baddies from the story.

If you're really desperate for something Lord of the Rings (or in need of a good laugh), watch this video. I hear there's a 10-hour one on youtube as well, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to watch it.


P.S. Notice how I snuck in "Merry Christmas" - thus making this post technically a Christmas post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.