Tuesday, July 27, 2010

On Odd Thomas

In Dean Koontz's book Odd Thomas, twenty-year-old Odd has a gift. No, it's not his strange name. Nor is it his beautiful girlfriend, Stormy Llewellyn. He has a sixth sense. He not only senses evil, but also has the ability to see dead people - ghosts that are unwilling to let go - and evil spirits he calls bodachs. These spirits are drawn to evil, even evil that hasn't yet been commited. So when Odd spots a strange-looking man in a restaurant with several bodachs on his tail, he is immediately suspicious. Little does he know how twisted and evil his adversary really is - and what horrors he intends to inflict on Odd's hometown.

Pros: This book is extremely well-written. It's the first one I've ever read (and I've read hundreds) that has made me want to read every word. (Except the first crime - ugh.) I love the supernatural/Divine angle in the book. It shows that God cares for us and looks out for us, even though terrible people do terrible things. It seems pretty deep and asks a lot of questions, though few of them are actually answered. (Of course, that's only my opinion; sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.) I love Odd!

Cons: Ugh. Koontz's books are rightfully labeled "horror" in my local library system.

My Rating: MT, but definitely not for the weak of heart (moderate to heavy sexual references and content, gruesome murders and a particularly horrible crime, language)

Picture from deankoontz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.