Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Regarding They Came to Baghdad

In Agatha Christie's They Came to Baghdad, Victoria Jones is an indifferent shorthand typist who has just gotten fired. Then she meets a young man in a park. During the course of their conversation, Victoria discovers his name is Edward and he's about to go to Baghdad to take up a secretarial job. Determined to follow him, she uses her talent for telling lies to finagle her way to the far-off city, blissfully unaware of the trouble that awaits her there.

Pros: There are Christian themes at the end of the book that I liked very much. I love Christie's spy stories! (Although I must admit I didn't like Passenger to Frankfurt at all.)

Cons: I don't really like Victoria; she lies too much. I also don't think that the Cold War happened simply because Americans and Soviets didn't understand each other - Americans knew only too well how evil the Soviet Union really was.

My Rating: T (murder, conspiracy)

2 comments:

  1. Oh! You finally read TCTB! There were quite a few Christian themes, weren't there? I was pleasantly surprised.
    And I'm loving your new blog look btw. Very lush and feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The roses remind me of Jane Austen for some reason...

    Thank you so much for recommending TCTB - I really enjoyed it. Most of AC's "moral" things are, *cough*, not exactly moral. But TCTB was very Christian in the end. Hard to believe the same person wrote "Passenger to Frankfurt."

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.