Monday, October 11, 2010

Concerning Sad Cypress

In Agatha Christie's Sad Cypress, Elinor Carlisle starts out immensely happy. She's engaged to marry her cousin, Roddy Winter, whom she's loved since she was a little girl. Granted, she has a few financial problems, but they're not serious, and she'll inherit her Aunt Laura's estate as soon as the old lady dies. Then Elinor receives an anonymous note warning her that a woman is worming her way into the aunt's affections. Aunt Laura had a stroke a few months ago, and is particularly vulnerable. So Roddy and Elinor decide to go for a visit to find if there's any truth in the note. They soon discover that the truth can be deadly.

Pros: I really like Dr. Peter Lord, Aunt Laura's physician. Although I must say I was surprised about his red hair and freckles - I've seen the movie version and he looks completely different than his description in the book! The story is really very good - quite a head-scratcher!

Cons: I hate the way euthanasia is brought up time and again throughout the book. It's rather necessary to the story (although the movie did just fine without it), but considering my views on the subject, I think its very presence is dreadful. Putting old people out of their misery, indeed! As if their lives were worthless!

My Rating: T (thematic elements including euthanasia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.