Friday, October 15, 2010

Update On Voyage of the Dawn Treader

New trailer for VODT! (Link goes to Ribbons of Light, a blog I follow.) Actually, it's an international trailer with subtitles in a foreign language (Polish, I think, but I'm not sure...). Anyway, this trailer scares me a bit. I had read that VODT was going to be closer to the book than PC was - and that bringing the White Witch back was going to be the only liberty the filmmakers would take. But this... this...! Aaaaah!

On the other hand, one of the problems I have with the book is that the story rambles all over the place without a set story arc. Instead of having a beginning, a few escalating problems that culminate in a big climax scene, and an ending, the book pretty much follows a nice gentle upslope of events that ends in a nice ending. There is no ultimate problem that has to be conquered or vanquished; just a goal that must be reached. The goal is reaching Aslan's Country, by which act the last lords (forgive me; I can't remember how many are asleep) will be woken up (another crucifixion analogy, maybe?). But no one tries to stop them from reaching that goal. And therein lies the problem.

So I can see why the filmmakers would want to change the story. (But they had better not have a rivalry over Ramandu's daughter between Edmund and Caspian!) Luckily, Eustace seems more or less correct, and Lucy is as Lucy should be. It should be very interesting to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.