Monday, October 4, 2010

In Relation To East

In East, a book by Edith Pattou, Rose is a farm girl who has always been a wanderer. She thought nothing of climbing over a stone wall and falling down a waterfall when she was two. Now her family is in financial ruin, and her sister Sara is dying. Then a visit from a mysterious white bear changes everything. The bear offers to heal Sara and secure the family's fortunes - if Rose will go away with him. Rose agrees, and is carried off by him to his castle. After a few months, Rose begins to wonder about her host and the castle he lives in. Is the bear more animal than human or more human than animal? And who - or what - crawls into the far side of her bed every night when the lights go out?

Pros: I know I say this about everything, but I really like the hero and the heroine. The story is very unusual too, and takes place in Norway (at least, I think "Nordjen" is Norway). The first time I read this book, I was glued  to the pages for hours; it was a very unusual and pretty suspenseful Beauty and the Beast tale! Also, there are quite a few places where the authoress could have made the book sleazy, but it's perfectly clean.

Cons: Okay, the superstitions about birth direction and everything were a little annoying. Also, the parts of the story written by the white bear were exceedingly worthless. At least, the parts at the beginning of the book...

My Rating: OK (someone sleeping in Rose's bed at night)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.