Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On Marple: The Secret of Chimneys

Marple: The Secret of Chimneys, based on one of Agatha Christie's books, begins with a flashback. A young maid is murdered on the night of a party - and a priceless jewel disappears that same night. Twenty-three years later another murder is commited in the same house. How do the pieces fit together? Only Miss Jane Marple (Julia McKenzie) has the wit to complete the puzzle.

Pros: As always, there were twists and turns before the story finally reached its conclusion. I thought Inspector Finch (Stephen Dillane) was a great character. I rather liked one of the other men and really liked one of the women (I won't say which - it may give the story away).

Cons: This story had its usual measure of the scandalous (though not too bad - at one point in the movie I thought it was going to get much worse than it actually did). The morals are, as is usual with a Christie story, rather muddled. I guessed the murderer, though the motive was a complete surprise.

My Rating: T (violent murders, various scandalous behavior - nothing explicit)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.