Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pertaining To The Lioness & Her Knight

The Lioness & Her Knight, written by Gerald Morris, is part of The Squire's Tales, a series of books about knights and ladies of England during the reign of King Arthur. Luneta feels stifled at home. Her parents are altogether unexciting, while their home on the family farm is decidedly dull. So when her parents suggest she goes to visit her mother's old friend, Luneta leaps at her chance for adventure.

Pros: The wry humor is quite amusing, especially the lines of Rhience the fool. Luneta is "the lioness" and I was afraid she would be another example of what Steven Greydanus from Decent Films calls "aggrieved feminism" - women being forced into "womanly" lives who suddenly discover they can lead their lives like men. Bleah. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I found this wasn't the case in this particular book.

Cons: Characters occasionally use expressions that are glaringly modern. I daresay some people will be put off by the magic (though I have no problem with it). Enchantresses whisper magic words, some of which are written in the book. Whether these words are gibberish or have a deeper meaning, I cannot say.

My Rating: OK (violence, "guy humor," and a nude insane person)

Picture from wla.lib.wi.us.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.