Monday, August 16, 2010

Concerning Signs

Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) used to be a priest. Six months ago, his wife died and he lost faith in God. Now strange things are happening on his farm in Pennsylvania. His kids, Morgan (Rory Culkin) and Bo (Abigail Breslin), wake up early one morning to find huge geometric patterns stamped on the cornfield. Graham and his brother Merrill (Joaquin Phoenix) dismiss the patterns as vandalism. But as things become stranger and stranger, the Hess brothers are forced to confront a spooky possibility: What if there are aliens on Earth?

Pros: A pro-faith movie that doesn't beat its viewer over the head with its message! Yes! Plus, there are some mighty powerful lines. Bo is absolutely, positively adorable - one of the cutest, sweetest little girls I've ever seen in or out of a movie. Merrill is sweet and hilarious. And rather cute. The technology wasn't quite there for animation, but M. Night Shyamalan (the writer/director/producer) didn't try to do more than the technology would allow. There are several parts that make my top-favorite scenes list.

Cons: I didn't get some parts the first time I watched it. But everything one needs to enjoy the movie is very clear - the confusing parts are of secondary importance. I still don't get a few things, but I think M. Night Shyamalan wanted it that way. He focused on the things that were important to the movie, and left unimportant things unexplained.

My Rating: T (spookiness, language)

Picture from coverbrowser.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.