Thursday, August 12, 2010

Regarding Storyteller

Storyteller, written by Edward Myers, is about a young man named Jack who lives in Yorrow, a village in the kingdom of Sundar. Jack loves to tell stories. One day he decides to go off and seek his fortune. On his way to the royal city, he comes upon a crow-like bird named Loquasto. Loquasto not only speaks, he has fallen in love with a beautiful fish princess named Artemisia. Together, the Jack and Loquasto go to the royal city - and soon find themselves knee-deep in trouble.

Pros: Some of the names in this book seem to have deeper meanings. For instance, "Loquasto" is rather similar to "Eloquent," and the bird can talk. "Stelinda," the shining princess of Sundar, is similar to "Stella," which means star. "Yorrow" is like "Sorrow." I liked the final message of the book - each person is who he is and what he does.

Cons: Okay, I'm darn sure there's a deeper meaning to this book, but I haven't quite put my finger on what it is. It's criticizing a controlling few who won't allow people to tell live their own lives. Whether Myers means communism (which I would completely agree with) or the Catholic Church (which would be entirely misguided), I'm not quite sure. I'm leaning toward communism. Another problem I had with the book was it ripped me out of the story at various intervals to return to the old man telling his grandson a story. Very annoying. Also, I don't quite get the bird and the fish falling in love. Any hint at "love" that isn't quite... normal reminds me of gay marriage. But then, a fish and a bird are very different creatures, as opposed to homosexuals, who have essentially matching bodies.

My Rating: AGC

Picture from library.fayschool.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.