Friday, August 6, 2010

Pertaining To Swiss Family Robinson

The Robinson family is on its way to New Guinea to start a new life. Then a storm hits their ship and runs it straight into a reef. When the storm subsides, the family discovers that the captain, crew, and other passengers have all abandoned the ship and left the Robinsons to fend for themselves. Determined to make the best of things, they escape from the ship to a nearby island. After settling on the island, the two older boys, Fritz (James MacArthur) and Ernst (Tommy Kirk), go to explore - and discover a band of pirates.

Pros: I grew up watching this movie, which ranked third on my all-time favorites list until I was nine. I love Fritz, Ernst is funny, and the whole treehouse thing is really, really cool. Now that I'm older, I like the parents and Roberta (Janet Munro) much more.

Cons: It is an old movie, so the pirates are somewhat dramatized, as well as the fight with the snake.

My Rating: AGC

Note: I have a question. Why isn't Ernst on the cover?

Picture from coverbrowser.com

2 comments:

  1. I think that was the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater. Great flick. But I wouldn't necessarily call a movie from 1960 old.

    Germankee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it in color when you saw it in the theater? :) 1960s movies seem really old to me. In SFR, Fritz wrestles with a snake that doesn't even move on its own. In "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," Jack Sparrow carries on conversations with multiple copies of himself. They look so real it's scary.

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.