Thursday, August 26, 2010

On The Story of Robin Hood

Richard the Lionheart (Patrick Barr) rides off to war in the Holy Land, taking most of the best men in England along with him - including the Sherrif of Nottingham. The new sherrif (Peter Finch) immediately raises taxes and bolsters the number of foresters at his command. When his father is killed for speaking out against the sherrif's policies, Robin Hood (Richard Todd) is branded an outlaw and takes to Sherwood Forest to rob the rich to feed the poor.

Pros: I really like the minstrel's character, and Robin isn't bad, either. There are a few things about this movie that are different from other Robin Hood stories I've seen. 1) Robin starts out as a peasant. Usually he's already the Earl of Locksley or something like that. 2) Prince John never tries to usurp the throne from his brother - a welcome change!

Cons: I like the idea of this movie; I really do. However, the decent story, writing, and (occasionally) acting somehow get swallowed up in the bad costumes and sets, as well as the painful slapstick humor.

My Rating: AGC

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.