Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On Spider-Man

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is just an ordinary geeky high school senior with giant glasses - and a giant crush on his beautiful classmate, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst). But MJ barely even notices he exists, except to stand up for him when he misses the schoolbus and has to chase it for about ten blocks. Then one day, Peter is on a field trip to a research laboratory and is bitten by a "super spider" that has been genetically designed to include the characteristics of several different natural spiders. The next morning, he has powers beyond his imagination.

Pros: Spider-Man is one of my favorite heroes of all time. He's a regular guy (I mean, despite his special powers) who has to deal with his problems like any other guy. Of course, his problems aren't exactly like any other guy's... but you get my drift. MJ isn't too bad, either. She really annoyed me the first time I watched this movie, but she's grown on me since then. I feel really sorry for Harry Osborn (James Franco), and Willem Dafoe plays an awesome insane bad guy! The scene with him and the mirror reminds me of Gollum/Smeagol in The Two Towers and The Return of the King - and Dafoe is every bit as good as Andy Serkis was!

Cons: I hate the way this movie is considered a "family movie." It's rated PG-13; it is not a family movie!

My Rating: T (mild sexual content, scary)

Picture from fandomania.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.