Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pertaining To The Scarlet Pimpernel

Sir Percy Blakeney (Anthony Andrews) is not only a very rich English nobleman, he is also a fop. At least, that's what society believes. But society doesn't know that he has a secret identity - the Scarlet Pimpernel, a dashing hero who rescues French aristocrats from the very shadow of Madame Guillotine. When Sir Percy helps the brother of beautiful actress Marguerite St. Just (Jane Seymour), a romance is born. But neither of them counted on the jealousy of Marguerite's former suitor, nor the possibility that Sir Percy's secret might come between them.

Pros: I must admit, I came into this movie baised against it. Who could ever beat Leslie Howard as Sir Percy? But then I saw Anthony Andrews. Never was there a more perfect Sir Percy! He is absolutely exactly how he's supposed to be! And Jane Seymour is really one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen - which is quite unusual. It's typical of movies (particularly old ones) to have not-so-pretty women play the beautiful ones, and beautiful women to play the not-so-pretty ones. Very little in this movie seemed like it was filmed in the eighties. Could the lighting have been better? Yes. The sets? Perhaps. The costumes? Likely not. The acting for the lead parts? Never!

Cons: Despite what I said about the acting, I was disappointed in Sir Ian McKellen. I guess I was expecting him to play Chauvelin as well as he played Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings and Creakle in David Copperfield. However, he is still a passable bad guy. And why didn't they pick a handsome guy to play Sir Andrew?! I love Sir Andrew in the book! Although I suppose the actor they chose might have been considered handsome back in 1982...

My Rating: T (mild sexual content not involving hero or heroine, thematic elements)

Picture from topdvdcollections.com

1 comment:

  1. This is my second-favorite film in the world! ;-) and it made Sir Percy Blakeney my top favorite literary hero as well as sparked an interest in the books that has now turned into full-fledged fanship. Anthony Andrews IS Sir Percy Blakeney. :-)

    I've really enjoyed your blog! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.