Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Regarding The Russell Girl

Sarah Russell (Amber Tamblyn) has leukemia. Terrified at the prospect of dying, she goes back home to visit her parents, but, at the last moment, decides not to tell them about her disease. While on her visit, she runs into people she fondly remembers and people she'd rather forget - namely, her high school boyfriend Evan Carroll (Paul Wesley), and her next-door-neighbor Lorainne Morrissey (Jennifer Ehle). While Evan is delighted to see her, Sarah's reappearance stirs up tragic memories for Lorainne, who starts down a slippery slope of bitterness and a refusal to let go of the past.

Pros: There's nothing I like better than an awful Hallmark movie. Quite honestly, I love watching them with my friends and laughing the whole way through. But the only laughs I got out of this movie were the intentionally funny lines, and other parts made me cry. Evan is really very adorable, and all three dads in the movie (Sarah's father, Evan's father (even though he's only in one scene), and Lorainne's husband) are awesome. That's really why I like this movie so much. When is a father ever portrayed as anything other than an idiot nowadays? Jennifer Ehle was fabulous as Lorainne, and Amber Tamblyn did a great job with some not-so-easy lines and facial expressions as Sarah.

Cons: To be honest, tragedy and faith go hand-in-hand. If you're going through a tough time, lean on the Lord. Unfortunately, there is barely (if any) mention of God in this movie. But I don't allow that to overshadow the rest. I must admit, too, that the kissing scenes were weird. Neither Evan nor Sarah do anything wrong; the kisses are just weird.

My Rating: OK (tragedy, lack of trust in parents and family)

Picture from movieberry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.