Thursday, September 23, 2010

Really Bad Actors

Since I love movies and, by extension, love to talk about actors, I have decided to compile a list of really bad actors. I won't say these are the "worst" actors I've ever seen, because it's difficult to judge actors on one or two performances - which is about as much as I've seen of most of these men. However, I can safely say that these are some of the worst actors I've ever seen.
  1. Peter Fonda. Not only can he not act, but he's fer durn sure not good looking (which, I must admit, sometimes helps me get past lacking acting abilities). As a good friend of mine once said, "Saying Peter Fonda is handsome is like saying a porcupine is soft." That about sums it up.
  2. Henry Fonda. Yes, the Fonda men top the list. I once had the misfortune of watching an episode of an old show called The Deputy. Henry's acting performance was so bad, I was completely confused about a vital part in the story. It's difficult to explain, but suffice it to say that Henry's idea of "losing consciousness" looks more like "oh, he's pretending to lose consciousness to trick the bad guys!"
  3. Bill Holden. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit of a softie when it comes to heroes and heroines. In my view, a decent love story is a requirement to a good movie or book (with a few exceptions). But Bill was the worst romantic actor I've ever seen, reducing otherwise sweet scenes to laughingstocks.
  4. Gary Cooper. Bleah. High Noon was an awful movie. Even putting aside the ballad popping up in strange places and Grace Kelly's all-wrong Quaker character, Gary Cooper absolutely ruined the movie. I must admit he was pretty decent in For Whom the Bell Tolls (another awful movie), but maybe that was because he was opposite Ingrid Bergman, the greatest actress ever.
  5. Nicolas Cage. After I first watched National Treasure, I told myself, "Nicolas Cage must be related to someone, because he could never have gotten so famous purely on acting talent." Turns out I was right. He's the nephew of some famous director whose name slips my mind. Thought so.
  6. John Wayne. I realize this is a very polarizing pick. Either you love 'im or you hate 'im. I'm not quite on the "hate" side (I love The Quiet Man), but I must admit he was one of the worst actors I've ever seen. Anytime he had to inject some emotion into his character, he fell on his face.
  7. Harrison Ford. I must admit, I love Han Solo. But some of his lines were a bit shaky. And I like Linus Larrabee in Sabrina. But some of his lines were a bit shaky. Finally, I can't stand Jack Ryan in Clear and Present Danger. (I mean, going from Alec Baldwin, who's not so great himself but was at least handsome, in The Hunt for Red October to Harrison Ford?! No contest.)
  8. An honorable mention goes to Elizabeth Taylor, who couldn't make this list because she's a woman.
(There is no "really bad actresses" post in my future, because famous actresses are generally pretty good at what they do. Except, apparently, for some I haven't seen in any movies, such as J-Lo.)

I would advise you to be wary if you ever come across a movie with one of these seven men - unless, of course, you don't mind unconvincing acting.

2 comments:

  1. This was funny! So my family isn't the only one who doesn't stand in awe of High Noon. :) I think it was kind of an unoriginal story, actually, although a good story nevertheless.

    I don't really notice bad actors as much as bad actresses (like Keira Knightley!). John Wayne--I think he's entertaining, but I agree, he's not really a very good actor.

    ~Rachel S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's nice for me to find someone else who doesn't like "High Noon" too! I agree that Keira Knightley isn't the greatest actress, although I think part of that is the directing... her parts are always too modern for the movies she's in. That's one reason why I find P&P 2005 painful.
    ~Hydra

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog must be approved by me before they are published for general viewing. Please refrain from using foul language. You may disagree with me or another commenter, but overtly hostile posts will not be published. Thank you.